Evan -

Lukas may be right, but /again/, in my opinion he seems to live in a very
idealized world. Not everyone can afford to continually upgrade their
system to the latest and greatest, but that is always seems to be /his/
solution when somebody reports a problem and they are back-level on the
hardware or O/S.

Designing a framework that prevents a particular program from running when a
potentially conflicting job is running is fraught with potential problems.

All I know is that when I worked in a MAPICS shop, we had a /bunch/ of DFU's
to update the system control file and other files to keep MAPICS from
telling us that we needed to restore all of the files because a job bombed.

In most cases with legacy software [particularly in these lean times], it is
much simpler [and much cheaper] to know which jobs that need to run
single-threaded and make sure that they get submitted to a single-threaded
job queue and slap the hands of people who are moving jobs around.

...or make them fix the resulting problems and they won't do it again.

- sjl

Evan wrote:
Lukas is right though.

His primary point was that if the application expects to run single
threaded
it should ensure it or program against those situations where a second
instance starts.

That's not 'idealized' it's what the application has been designed to
expect.