One of my customers was running payroll and the job seemed to hang. Looking at his call stack I saw:

Type Program Statement Procedure
QCMD QSYS /04F3
INLPGMC0 QGPL 15400 /00D6
GPRM950 GP#LIBR _QRNP_PEP_GPRM950
GPRM950 GP#LIBR 1790 GPRM950
PPCP400 HS#LIBR_PP _CL_PEP
PPCP400 HS#LIBR_PP 32900 PPCP400
PPCU669 HS#LIBR_PP 3700 /001F
QCPEX0FL QSYS /0121
QCPEXCON QSYS /0AB7
QCPGENIO QSYS /01DF
QDBGETM QSYS /0533
QWTPECTL QSYS /013D
QMHDLVMS QSYS /01A3
QMHDSMSS QSYS /1772
QWSGET QSYS /065D
QT3REQIO QSYS /0253

which to me looks like it's waiting for a response from the user; however, his (Rumba) session shows input inhibited. WRKACTJOB shows the job in a DSPW status.

The joblog shows:

3700 - CPYF FROMFILE(PPPPCWK) TOFILE(QTEMP/PPBPCWK) MBROPT(*REPLACE)
CRTFILE(*YES) INCREL((*IF WHOSP# *LT '00001') (*OR WHOSP# *GT '99999'))
Physical file PPBPCWK created in library QTEMP.
Member PPPPCWK added to file PPBPCWK in QTEMP.

I checked the program, and it has a MONMSG after that CPYF:

MONMSG MSGID(CPF2869 CPF2817 CPC2957)

I checked the PPPPCWK file and all records have WHOSP# = 00001, which means the above CPYF stmt would select nothing, which should give a CPC2957 completion message (which it did when I ran the CPYF manually).

I had him cancel his Rumba session (without canceling the job). His job then showed status DSC (disconnected). He started Rumba again, reconnected to the job, and it took off and completed normally.

Device MISPC02S2 session not active.
Input or Output request failed. See message CPF5170.
Job connected again. Sign on information ignored.
Job has successfully connected after I/O error.
? C
Cancel reply received for message CPF509F.
Error while processing file QDDSPMSG in library QSYS.
No records copied from file PPPPCWK in PP#FILE. <=== this is a CPF2957 ===
4100 - CLRPFM FILE(PPPPCWK)
Member PPPPCWK file PPPPCWK in PP#FILE cleared.
4500 - CPYF FROMFILE(QTEMP/PPBPCWK) TOFILE(PPPPCWK) MBROPT(*REPLACE)
Empty member PPPPCWK in file PPBPCWK in library QTEMP is not copied.
Copy command ended because of error. <=== this is a CPF2817 ===

The CPF2817 was monitored for and the program finished normally.

The question is, why did it pause at the CPC2957 completion message? Are they missing a PTF? Is it a Rumba problem? Something completely different?

*Peter Dow* /
Dow Software Services, Inc.
909 793-9050
pdow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:pdow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> /