This means every open invoice appears in this table 4 times, once for
each SENTTP.
The app uses SQL to search for possible matches.

Charles,

I'll also suggest an old technique used since the days of the System
/38. For the alpha fields, you can re-map them so each alpha field in a
record orients to the search field. I have used this technique for Unit
of Measure Lookups, (LB->OZ and OZ->LB) and a Warehouse search, where
the users could key in the name of the City or the name of the Warehouse
Company, and the record was brought in both ways.

This is a multi-format Logical over the same Physical File. With
logicals like this, you do need to check the format name of the record,
but it works great because the index is a permanent index in a logical
file. Here's some sample LF DDS that I have handy, where we can lookup
in Personnel using the SSN of a Retiree or SSN of the Spouse of the
Retiree
R CURNTMPM3E PFILE(CUPNTMPM)
PMSSN
PMPNAME
PMCNM
PMSSSN

K PMSSN
K PMPNAME

R CURNTMPM3S PFILE(CUPNTMPM)
PMSSN RENAME(PMSSSN)
PMPNAME RENAME(PMSNAME)
PMCNM
PMSSSN RENAME(PMSSN)

K PMSSN
K PMPNAME

I know it may not be a solution you are looking for, and will probably
require an app rewrite to do it with logicals, but performance-wise, it
cannot be beat. There are similar ways to do this in SQL with permanent
indices built, but I just don't have a solution of that handy today.
And SQL has better Numeric-to-Alpha conversions than DDS.