From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Lukas Beeler
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2010 10:31 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: HMC - FSP Upgrade

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 18:56, Chris Bipes <chris.bipes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Does not have to be twinax. ÂLet's say your UPS blows a fuse and shuts down your iSeries and your HMC. The HMC cannot spin up it's Hard Drive. ÂYou need to get your iSeries up ASAP to support your business. ÂNow what do you do?

My HMC has redundant power supplies and is attached to two different,
completely independent UPS systems.

But realistically, if a HMC dies, i would use the second one. Our
second HMC is located in a datacenter, 130km away.

(Yes you have IBM maintenance with 24x7 4hour onsite response for your HMC, right?)

Of course. But the hard drives in the -CR4 and -CR5 HMCs i've handled
so far are stock System x parts. We have most of them on-stock.

Yes the HMC is independent of the HW it supports and it can support multiple systems. Â BUT the HMC still is dependent on the FSP. ÂIf you are a smaller shop with one iSeries, why do you want that second box to control it if you can web into the FSP and have your Console.

Nah. We're a small shop too, and we don't have 24x7 requirements. If
we had, we'd have redundant IBM i systems with fully redundant HMCs.

ÂI love the HMC and have Two, one in Chicago and one in California.

Can each HMC control all the systems you have? If you haven't
configured that yet, now's a good time to do so.

ÂI love the HMC but if it was to run inside of the iSeries when it is powered off, as the FSP currently does, why have the additional hardware? ÂEspecially since it is dependent on the FSP.

VIOS's IVM is basically what you're craving. Have you looked at
switching to blades?