From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ryan Hunt
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2010 4:01 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Force Statistics Collection DB2/400?

Yes, I think most databases these days create and manage statistics
collections (I'm exlcuding things like MySQL, Postgress, etc. - haven't
studied those).

In my particular situation, statistics appear to be lost or deemed
irrelevant based on certain system/data migration activities. Within 10
minutes of users logging in QDBFSTCCOL kicks on and pegs the disks -
immediately resulting in users complaining of a slow system. Certainly,
being able to generate a base set of stats on large files using a sample
selection the night before is a nice feature - indepedant of whether you
would ever do it on a stable fully migrated system.

I believe this is one of the reasons other RDBMS's have this type of
feature.

Just my two cents.

"Musselman, Paul" <pmusselman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
in message
com...
!!! I went around and around with a software vendor a few years back--
they insisted that I contact my "database administrator" and
"reorganize/optimize" the database to optimize performance and
eliminate
a problem we were having.

This was a Java-based application using DB2/400 to store its data.
They
insisted we needed to reorganize the database to optimize the trees
because You Just Have To Do These Things With Any Database!

It was almost impossible to convince them (they didn't believe) that
we
didn't need to those things; that the operating system took care of
such
things -automatically-!

The only thing that comes close to what a traditional database
administrator does (imho) is to use the iSeries Navigator and see if
the
Index Advisor recommends any new indices for your files.

Paul E Musselman
list
MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx