From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jim Oberholtzer
Sent: Wednesday, 14 April 2010 9:13 a.m.
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Questions on V5R4M5 Upgrade

Willie:

Bill(?) is correct the upgrade is a slip install of the licensed
internal code. Others are also correct when they indicate the
instructions are very good. Generally here are the steps:
Prelim:
.1) Down load the latest/greatest cumulative fixes with all the
applicable groups (that will take some time so plan this to be done a
week ahead)
.2) Consider if you should apply all the PTFs permanently prior to your
upgrade. Opinions abound, mine is to do so. No one opinion is wrong.
.3) Ask your CE if there are any hardware PTFs that should be acquired
in your case

Do it:
1) Save 21 (just in case) I have done many many of these without
incident but, there is always a first. Consider just a SAVSYS a second
time, no need for everything twice (unless truly paranoid, which again
is not bad, Tape is always your best friend)
2) If you are going to permanently apply PTFs do so.
3) Slip install the SLIC
4) Apply all the cumulative and groups (use an image catalog, it's way
faster)
4.5) Do some application testing but it is very likely there will be no
issues
5) Enjoy a cold beverage of choice for a job well done.

I think the partner is exaggerating the extent of the change and the
criticality of it.

Jim Oberholtzer
CEO/Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects, LLC