Jim Franz wrote:

I know cpytoimpf works great for database export - I'm struggling
with what to me is an inprecise wording in the vendor specs.
From many google sources I can see SQL Loader is heavily used for
Oracle, but it seems the vendor has their particular setup &
config for SQL Loader and I'm trying meet those requirements.

The vendor's example, in their own wording, is
<quote>
If a legacy character string has embedded special characters (e.g. commas or double quotes) then surround the character string
with a pair of double quotes. Further, each double quote
character that is part of the legacy data must be replaced by two
double quotes. Example: """This is a test, to show how ""quotes""
are handled""" In this example, a leading and trailing quote
exists in the legacy char string, double quotes exist before and
after the word quotes and a comma exists after word test.
</quote>

They also had a sample of data of the csv where there were no
embedded double quotes.
100438,1,720,SURREY LANE,,SLEEPY HOLLOW.....

<<SNIP>>

Their example for "no embedded double quotes" is not even correct since there are embedded commas, so according to their own rules they should have 100438,1,720,"SURREY LANE,,SLEEPY HOLLOW"..... ;-) Ahh for the lack of any /standards/ to define database text import\export definitions & rules; that, and the beauty of dealing with a vendor where everything not under their auspices must be "legacy" ;-)

Regards, Chuck