I am actually confused why anyone would
even suspect that DSPPGMREF OUTFILE(outputdbf) OUTMBR(named *ADD)
would not be able to add records to the named member of the
outputdbf if already opened. Anyhow, there should be no difficulty
at accomplishing the described.

Sorry you are confused. The combined answer is:
1) Haven't tried it.
2) Often, IBM commands will demand *EXCL access whether I feel they need
it or not.
3) Mostly, see 1).

Also as Carel already noted, it would be those API which use a
user space that are more likely to complicate for inability to just
add to the end like with a database file member.

This, Sir, is why they make chocolate and vanilla. Or as Mark Twain once
wrote, "It is the difference of opinion that makes horse races." Having
said that, if user spaces confuse individuals, then the whole IBM list API
approach is a waste of time for those individuals. How sad for them!

Dennis Lovelady
To err is human, to moo bovine.