Dennis,

create a list of PGM objects in a file in your lib using DSPOBJD output to a
file. Then write a CL that reads through the file and does a DSPPGM of each
program outputting to a file using *ADD. Then write a query that
interrogates the last output file by program and shows all referenced
objects.

Even with this you will potentially miss plenty of references.

The other problem you need to solve beyond solving the simple hardcoded
references are soft coded references. Passing the name of a program to be
called as a variable and DSPPGMREF or the API's won't tell you any of that.
You will probably need to do detailed analysis within the programs for
variable to variable analysis too. For instance if you change variable VAR_A
in PGM_A and this moves into VAR_B somewhere in PGM_A and is passed as a
PARM when calling PGM_B, then in PGM_B entry PARM_A gets moved into PARM_C
and passed as PARM_C into PGM_D. Then you have the problem of renames and
prefixes against files. The list goes on.

//vendor mode starts

The easiest way to solve this whole problem is to use a tool. I think you
know which one I have in mind: X-Analysis. It will handle all of the hard
and soft-coded references, and all of the variable tracing as part of the
inquiry. Here's an example, 25 million lines of code impact analysis using
variable tracing : 11 seconds. You will probably spend more time on figuring
out how to do just the program refs than you would downloading the product,
installing and getting your answer. Taking advantage of our 30 day trial
will also mean you don't have to spend a penny, well not for thirty days
anyway. At 11 seconds a query, you could do a lot of analysis.

Vendor mode ends//

Stuart Milligan