I finally found the error message:

but I'm still in the dark on what's happening.

* CWBCO1049 * * Back to top
<http://www-
03.ibm.com/systems/i/software/access/linux/guide/cwbcoer.html#main>
*

*Cause*
The server was contacted, but refused the connection request.
*Recovery*
Make sure the host servers have been started on the server; see How to
Start OS/400 Host Socket Servers
<http://www-
03.ibm.com/systems/i/software/access/linux/guide/cwbcoer.html#StartHost
Server>.

Hi, Pat:

Is this an issue that has been introduced before? If so, I missed it, so
please forgive if these questions have been asked/answered before. (I
searched for Sprint on midrange-l and didn't find anything recent.)

Can you connect to this system from other servers? Does this system have a
public routable IP address (and are you using that?) What function are you
trying to perform through iSeries Access? What version of "access" are you
using?

Dennis Lovelady
One of the reasons for the fall of the Roman empire was that, lacking zero,
they had no way to indicate normal termination of their C programs.
-- Robert Firth