I can only guess, but... maybe it's because you specified LEVEL(*SYS)?
LEVEL(*SYS) is like an initializer... the first time you use an
environment variable in a given job, all of the variables are
initialized by creating *JOB level variables from the *SYS level
variables. Aside from that inizializing, the *JOB level ones are
what's used for everything.

Thanks, Scott. I had tried LVL(*JOB) first, but to no avail, so I did the
*SYS level setting. But of course *JOB overrides *SYS so my first concern
was that I'd confused everything. So I removed the *SYS setting and am now
only using the *JOB setting.

I've just landed on the solution. In fact, your instructions were spot-on.
What I didn't understand is that the setting does not (seem to) apply to
online terminal sessions (QSH CMD(*NONE)). When I tried QSH CMD('ls
/home/lovelady') all the input and output went to the stream file.
Usually, in order to do this, I'd have to pipe the output explicitly. And
of course then I'd miss the command itself. Too cool for words - kind of
reminds me of a limited version of the unix script command. Thanks!

Dennis Lovelady
"Those who make the worst use of their time are the first to complain of its
shortness."
-- Jean de La Bruyre