Hi Tomasz,

One of the key issues you face when building a data warehouse is how to get
the right data and all related records from the JDE database.

I am a vendor who has a technology that automatically maps the relational
model of DB2/400 application and stores and describes it explicitly. It does
this by reading the database architecture AND the RPG code written over to
establish the precise relationships and foreign keys that make up these
relationships, much the same as a human would. The process is automated,
repeatable and can be fine tuned depending on the system it is being run
over. The results can be visualised or programmatically reused as needed. We
have also written tools to extract subsets of production data based upon
selection criteria supplied, and then the tools uses the foreign key
relational model to extract all related records from other files in the
production data base. This is all done in RPG for optimum IO.

We have been working with Oracle JDE World in Denver for some time now to
make our tools work much more specifically with JDE. One area we are looking
into is BI and DW for the JDE database using the above technologies.

I realize this is not a "silver bullet" but if it is of interest please
don't hesitate to contact us.

Stuart Milligan

stuartm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

web: www.databorough.com