The decision to implement a data warehouse comes from the business; the
warehouse needs to be designed to produce the results the business needs.
What we in IT want out of it is immaterial or at least secondary to meeting
the business goals. As such, the answers to those are mostly "it depends";
the best solution for your company may be different than what is best for
another company. For instance, filling the files daily or more often. For
some companies, monthly will be fine as the warehouse will be used for
queries that relate to monthly sales data; for others, up-to-the-minute data
may be needed for just-in-time forecasting.

Considering the value you get out of the warehouse, as with any database,
will depend at least in part on how it is architected, I suggest bringing in
a knowledgable DW consultant for a couple of days to review what you have in
terms of databases and what your company wants out of the warehouse. What
kind of reporting, forecasting, or other analysis they want.

In the end, the issue of platform - iSeries v. others - is less about
capabilities than it is about what your shop is comfortable supporting and
what platforms you have capacity on or are willing to buy capacity for.

Regarding efficiency, the code that will be used to run the queries - SQL,
etc. - is where you need to spend time. I've seen poorly optimized SQL
bring a system to it's knees only to be redone properly and see run-times
drop by orders of magnitude.

ODBC, JDBC, and .Net are all fine for data access. On the i they're all
serviced by QZDASOINIT.