Tomek,

Sorry for not replying earlier. We have a fairly large DW that houses
JDE data as well as a lot of other stuff.

what is better (efficiency) - many data_warehouse's files (for
diffrent issues) or one big for everything?

Part of what you need to watch out for is not only system efficiency but
end user efficiency. In our case we tend to put our data into very
large files for a given function. How you define this function is
rather open to intrepretation. We did so to create join-less queries
for our end users. Our DW is designed for a lot of people and a lot of
systems. This uses storage but I think it makes it easier for the end
user and perhaps in the long run easier for the system. I can see this
as being answered differently depending on which company you talk to.
In our case I believe this has worked out tremendously.

relational data stored in separately files (like address book) - or in
the same as main data

I'm not sure how different this question is from the one above. Again,
we tended to move the data to flat files based upon certain
relationships. It isn't one large file but many large files.

files filled once a day or more often?

For us this depends on the type of data and expectations. In our case
we normally fill the majority of the DW on a daily basis. That is more
a result of business cycles than anything else. On our DW we keep a
real-time copy of our production DB's from where we then populate the
other DW files on a scheduled basis. In our case probably about 75% of
that is done on a daily cycle. We did the move of production files to
the DW to centralize licenses of our DW tools and simplify support. We
have never had much of an issue with end user queries 'hurting' the
production system. I believe others on this list will have a different
opinion but it was a non-issue with us. My worst problem hasn't been a
query slowing the system down but the impact of bad query on the F0411,
F0911, F43121 related data and storage becoming a concern. In our
scenario our DW contains both real-time data as well as 'cleansed' and
'manipulated' data. What your ETL tool or process can do or what you
need it to do can be important.

data_warehouse's files on AS400 or on other database (access through
ODBC)?

Well, you will hear that X is cheaper, Y is faster. Some of this can
come down to size, real costs, perceived costs, cost of acquisition,
cost of ownership, etc. In our case our DW has always been AS/400
based. Again, we have a decent sized system. While one might argue the
cost factors on the smaller systems I believe this is not a factor on
medium to large implementations. We believe that DB2/400 absolutely
rocks for DW and that our performance is second to none. Normally, it
seems that a lot of DW's start out small and then grow. On the small end
AS/400 investments might seem questionable. As the DW grows (check all
the studies about the normal growth pattern of DW's) that acquisition
cost factor will slim down. Someone else can argue about their
experiences with cost of acquisition and why WINTEL is the only way to
go. In our case it would not have been cheaper, it would not have
performed as well, and not been as rock solid as it has been.

I'm not sure about your environment but portions of our JDE environment
have some extremely large files. It can create for some potentially
large issues - large DW files, long processing times, etc.

For me the answer is that it always depends on your business needs and
demands. Opinions will vary. HTH.

Michael Crump

Manager, Computing Services
SGCI
1509 S. Macedonia Ave.
Muncie, IN 47302

765.741.7696
765.741.7012 f

Elitism
It's lonely at the top. But it's comforting to look down upon everyone
at the bottom.

This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended
solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any view
or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not
neccesarily represent those of Saint-Gobain. If you are not the
intended recipient of this email and its attachments, you must take no
action based upon them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone.
error.