Sheesh, Rob!! You KNOW what I mean, yet take it to realms unknown. And you ARE always on the bleeding edge when there is on - you're the first to get the latest.

And you happen always to be on the latest because you choose to be and have a company that goes with you on it. Not everyone is in your position.

Therefore, I ask you to qualify you advice by the release you are on. That way, your friends here will not have to be frustrated when your advice is simply not available to them.

There IS a world out here that is not always the same as yours. Open your eyes to that fact, dude!!

And I have the utmost respect for you, inasmuch as you push IBM with your DCRs - the community benefits from that every day.

Vern

rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Bleeding edge? V6R1 has been GA for 2 years now.

If the reason you're still on V6R1 is because your software provider still doesn't support it, it is time to realize they are just sucking maintenance dollars out of you and paying off their leverage and it's time to replace them. Talked to a guy last week running a medical billing package from some developers whose names many of you would recognize. He's still stuck. I gave him the same advice. He's hot to trot to upgrade, new equipment and all.

If the reason is hardware, then you may want to think of leasing instead of buying for your next upgrade.

If you can't afford the downtime then you really need to get a HA solution, test your switches and do the upgrade.

If you're already continuously working 70hr weeks then that's a tough one.

If the reason is because you might miss "Ghost Whisperer" on Friday night then you need a slap across the face. Get a Tivo. Or better yet, get a HMC and connect to your i remotely. It's Saturday morning, I'm at home, started the laundry, took the dog for a walk, waiting for the rest of the fam to wake up for breakfast and I'm doing an IPL after a full system save and reclaim storage that I let run last night.