My response is from the perspective of the system design [where there is LIC, OS & options, LPP & options] rather than from any specific recent experience. FWiW the original design point for LIC from what I recall, was that it should be able to install to a newer release and allow the old & currently installed OS release to continue functioning; perhaps with a few quirks as side effect of design changes or PTF levels. I would hope that is especially true, for when there is only a Modification-level change versus a Release-level change. That allowed for performing a LIC upgrade in one maintenance window, and then install everything else in another window. I had even seen a few systems that ran days and even weeks on a newer LIC; in each case, they only learned that they had failed to install the new OS, due to some LIC failures where their previous release OS had newer PTFs than the function provided in the newer release LIC.

The last time I installed the LIC and\or OS was back in V4. I agree with Mark, that a LIC-only install should be functional; of course after applying the cumulative to both bring the M5-level up to the same cumulative level as the M0-level had, and to resolve any [likely rare] requisites in the OS which might be specific to the Mod5-level.

I am not sure I understand what "insists" means. Does the system end with an SRC specific to "the OS must be reinstalled" after the new LIC is installed? I suppose if an "auto install" was performed versus a manual install, then "insists" might reflect that the installation asks for or otherwise keeps reading and installing whatever media is provided? IIRC the LIC-only install would be available only on a manual install.
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/topic/rzahc/restor.htm

Regards, Chuck

Pete Massiello wrote:

From your response you use the word should, which imply that you
haven't actually done this. I have done this numerous times, and
every time I did this, the upgrade INSISTS that you also do
those other components. When was the last time you slipped the
LIC on a machine? I did a 6.1.0 to a 6.1.1 3 weeks ago and this
was required. Sorry.

CRPence wrote:

Pete Massiello wrote:
You are not at V5R4M5 of the LIC, you are at V5R4M0. You will
have to do a SLIP install of the LIC, along with i5/OS Base,
QGPL, QUSRSYS, and Extended Base.

A LIC upgrade from v5r4m0 to v5r4m5 should require little more than a SLIP install of V5R4M5 LIC followed by applying the same or a newer level of cumulative PTF [and optionally group PTFs] to achieve the same or newer PTF level as compared to the level of cumulative\groups that were applied to the pre-upgrade V5R4M0 LIC. There should be no reason to reinstall any of the OS, QUSRSYS, OPTION(01), et al., since those are already at the V5R4M0 level of the OS.