From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Aaron Bartell
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2010 2:19 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: TimeShare/400 - space on an i series.

which is why IBM should be offering this.

That could be good and bad depending on how IBM approached it. It would
be
better, IMO, if IBM changed their approach to licensing so it was easier
for
timeshares to exist. For example, timeshares go off of a monthly lease
with
zero up front cost to buy software (i.e. compilers, OS, DB, etc), but
the
timeshare provider has to make that huge initial investment to get a
machine
capable of hosting 50 to 100 developers. It would be better if they
could
lease the software from IBM (though leasing an OS and DB aren't
appealing,
but leasing dev tools like compilers is). I "lease" MyEclipseIDE and
purchase a new license every year for $50. I wouldn't expect the IBM
pricing to be that low, but you get the point hopefully.

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com
http://mowyourlawn.com/blog/

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 1:40 PM, DeLong, Eric