Over what period of time did Microsoft invest billions into OSS? I
don't have any numbers, but I would say IBM spend loads of money on
open source.

IBM sits on several of the expert groups for Java EE, which takes time
away from paid employees. They gave Geronimo application server to
Apache. They have WebSphere community edition which is open source.

I'm not trying to say IBM is better than Microsoft or that either one
don't contribute to OSS. I'm just pointing out they both contribute,
they just have different target audiences.

I just don't think open sourcing the i is the way to go. Look at Sun,
they were a large company that believed in open source. Didn't turn
out so well for them :-) Don't get me wrong, open source is a VERY
good/important thing. It seems RedHat is really the only company that
has the OSS model down. I don't think IBM could/would do it right.

--
James R. Perkins