Thanks Chuck.

Followed the link you gave. MF405801 is listed as Save File Only. I passed that information to (I hope) somebody who can motivate the SA.

John McKee

-----Original message-----
From: CRPence CRPbottle@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 20:14:50 -0600
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: High CPU and high DASD

Of course calling the service provider is the best approach as
has been noted, and before having to IPL to recover even better as
has also been noted. But even after the fact there may be history
or LIC logs, or other information to diagnose what was the problem
in order to hopefully find a PTF preventive to the symptoms logged
in a call.

Using the web for PTF information is not very nice as compared to
the tools available w/in IBM, so I am not so sure I could find out
that info very easily. Searching the APAR number MA37390 does yield
reference to an APAR MA37267 with available PTF MF46340 on C9321540
or the equivalent v5r4m5 MF46339; original HIPer recommendations
MF45801 & MF45882, which I infer are superseded by the prior two
PTFs noted. Note: A symptom of climbing storage is SRCB6005121,
noted in MA37267 along with a keyword denoting "temporary storage
leak" found here:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas216f52484c0bfab11862574f3003c746c

Searching the PSP for TELNET, 5121, or storage may be of value;
or just download & apply the HIPers. Some of the following links
have some PSP & cumulative details:
http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/sline003.NSF/2d3aff1c6b4d6ce086256453000d971e/63b317b8c13a2a7e8625710f005c4fdd?OpenDocument
http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/sline003.NSF/3a8f58452f9800bc862562900059e09e/b2122089a6a407da862576250055977b?OpenDocument
http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/sline003.NSF/0/9d2cbc7b715949d48625741f006f2b3a?OpenDocument
https://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/sline003.NSF/554c38c4848b77f2862567bd0046e003/ba4ad2dcaad205cf8625710e004ced35?OpenDocument

For example, the following APAR MA38537 [HIPer but none of the
PTFs on a cumulative] could reflect what was seen for "could not
connect"? However as HIPer, may be worth download & apply anyhow.?:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas25eb9de8fbe3f5061862576670041eeaf

Regards, Chuck

jmmckee wrote:
Only information I was given was unprotected storage.
Does that directly relate to temporary storage?

Is there a PTF or PTFs for v5r4?

CRPence wrote:

The obvious answers are that the system is busy doing work, and
taking storage to do whatever it is that the system is doing
;-) Sorry, but without knowing if the storage is temporary or
permanent, or where or to what the storage is being allocated,
difficult to guess.

The VTM tasks are "virtual terminal" tasks, as can be seen
referenced in the following link:
http://www-933.ibm.com/eserver/support/fixes/fixcentral/fixdetails?fixid=MF46006

That v5r3 PTF is HIPer [High Impact Pervasive designation for
APAR MA37390; apparent correction to PTF MF45892 for the memory
leak, which is apparently a defective fix],
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas20659f034ac7c2a77862575140041ed47
and that code level supersedes a PTF which was provided for a
memory leak problem and a prior PTF about VTM tasks not being
properly reused.

Regards, Chuck

jmmckee wrote:
Just received a query asking if anybody knew why CPU on our v5r4
520 was 71.4 and DASD is currently at 91 percent AND CLIMBING.

I did a WRKSYSACT and the top task is: VTMTS02AI.

What is going on?