Short answer: NEW.

As has been mentioned there are several reasons to retire the 170:

1) CPU Spin. It doesn't. It will support 5250 apps all day long and perform reasonably doing so but as mentioned even backups and such are getting slow. Web serving and PHP will run out of gas el-quicko.
2) Mem Size. If it's your basic 170 1GB is the max. This won't be enough. Larger 170s got up to 4GB but that's it.
3) Disk. With 25GB of Disk it most likely has only 4 7200 RPM 8GB disk units on a RAID card with 40MB Cache. No speed in evidence. Best the 170 can do is 10 10kRPM disks on a 100MB Cache RAID card. Even then it's on an older slower 32 bit PCI bus.
4) LAN. Even Frankie, a 170 overbuilt with 45 10K RPM Drives on 3 100MB Cache RAID cards and 4GB RAM can't keep a 100MB Ethernet card above about 60% busy with such simple things as FTP. There is no GbE option for the 170 as it would be pointless anyway.
5) O/S. No Supported O/S is available for the 170. And while you can shoehorn PHP onto V5R3 it's not a supported environment anyway.

Only advice I would give on a new machine is not to skimp on disk arms. Sure you can configure one with two drives mirrored and no Cache yielding 140 GB usable storage, however you end up with abysmal performance as the CPU spends it's entire life waiting for those poor disk units. Put in half a dozen or 8 and with the RAID cache. You will have more storage than you need but the thing can breath.

- DrFranken.