On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 19:27, Joe Pluta <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Not true. The R2 releases of Windows server so far have never had
additional hardware requirements.
I was talking about major releases.

Windows Server 2008 R2 is a major release.

That's the point of i5/OS: there is almost
never a requirement to change an application when upgrading the OS.

Except when there is - our 3rd party spool file archiving software
took half a year till they officially supported V5R4, i then upgraded
the software while still on V5R3, then upgraded to V5R4, at which
point the software broke. We required multiple vendor patches till it
was up and running again.

With Windows,
as often as not you have to rewrite everything

FUD

- not to mention getting the right drivers, etc.

IBM has a very nice page where it lists all the drivers you need, or
you can preinstall the drivers using the ServerGuide CDs.

No, that's easy as pie if you know what you're doing.
Errr.... *http://tinyurl.com/yjj7wvc

Did you ever read a "Memo to user"? It's just as complicated, just
because it lasts all the options you have.

Not sure what your point is here.

My point is that good application developers don't require a DBA,
because they know what they're doing. And that stupid application
developers require one, or claim that their OS does everything for
them and throw hardware at the problem (which works too, it's just
very expensive).

Logical files predate indexes by a
long way and any decent RPG developer understands the concept. ÂIn fact,
competent RPG programmers know more about database design than most SQL
developers and nearly as much as DBAs.

So what you're saying is that in your case, the programmers also
handle the DBA job. Thanks for proving my point :)