OK I'm not going to dissect this entire thread but a few points need to be made.

1) If you build a windoze server with only two huge drives mirrored and no cache, or a Linux server, or an AIX server and expect it to do lots of I/O it won't. That's just facts. Perhaps on the very low end you can build a small PC server that doesn't do I/O and it will run fine but after IPL the small i runs fine too if you don't ask it to do lots of I/O.

2) IBM Publishes it's software prices. It's on every configuration too. I don't know where you got the idea that IBM doesn't publish it's pricing.

3) DB2 Admin, Really? I support many customers from that two drive 8203 up to SAP on 30+ Partitions across 40 CPUS. I'm not aware of one single DB/2 admin at any of my customers period. On the other hand nearly every sizable SQL Server or Oracle shop I'm aware of has a team of them.

4) Finally IBM i on Power Systems repeatedly wins TCO studies over and over in scenario after scenario. Would they win every conceivable comparison? Of course not but it's too easy to say "Just grab this and that and another thing and it will do everything i does but cheaper." That is pure and simple hogwash.

5) IBM Consultants. Not defending them. Period.

- DrFranken