Scott Klement wrote:
But I don't see how that's FUD. It's an opinion. I'm entitled to my opinion, aren't I?

An analogous situation to this happened a couple of times on PIPORG-L:

Some years ago, a somewhat arrogant young organist was "permanently exiled to the Land of NOPOST" after categorically describing the organs of Abbott & Sieker (a builder known for willingness to work on a low budget if necessary; I understand Donald Knuth's home organ is an A&S) as "piece[s] of junk," without giving any reason for the statement.

It would have been perfectly all right if he'd said he didn't like A&S, or found their work to be cheap. It would have been perfectly all right if he'd said said that one or more specific A&S instruments were pieces of junk, provided he backed up his statment with something factual. But instead, he phrased his rather uncomplimentary opinion as a sweeping statement of fact.

Something similar happened on the same list this past December: somebody else crossed the line between stating an opinion and making a broad, unfounded, and defamatory statement.

Back to the matter at hand, I have made no secret of my disapproval of RPG/Free, or that I consider it to be inappropriate to completely change the most fundamental syntax of a programming language without changing the name of the language, or that I think the effort spent on that project would have been better spent on upgrading the old AS/400 PL/I compiler from a tiny subset PRPQ running in OPM to a fully implemented ILE LPP (since most of /FREE is just PL/I elements grafted on to RPG). But I don't say "RPG/Free sucks; don't use it."

And while I make no secret of my opinion that Java would have been better, had it been based on Object PL/I instead of C++, or that much of it was poorly thought out, or that it can be a tad slow (but compare a purely interpreted BASIC sometime!), and I've even cited a cartoon I've drawn, that made fun of the language (I also have one that makes fun of RPG, by putting some OPM RPG code on a stone tablet!), but I don't say, "Java sucks."

So let us simply be a bit more vigilant when choosing our words, when we express opinions that could be considered defamatory.

--
JHHL