From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Pete Helgren
Sent: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 10:52 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Record by record update with SQL with no matching key.

I was never able to sort out the correct syntax to set the rownumber()
over() on the real file = to the rownumber() over() on the "fake" file
so that I had a 1 to 1 join condition. I'd love to see some simple
syntax that shows how to use column aliases in a "where" or "join"
clause (or whatever the equivalent is)

So I fell back to plan B which was to CRTDUPOBJ on the real file, ALTER
both tables to add an identity column, join on the identity columns and
then issue the following SQL:

update realtable set (first,last,address,city) = (select F1,F2,F3,F4
from faketable
where realtable.id = faketable.id)

After that I cpyf the contents of the copied and changed "real" table
back to the original.

I am sure that there must have been a way to do this without copying and
altering the tables, but, finding no workable examples, I went with what
I knew.

Pete

Pete Helgren wrote:
So, how would I join the two records by rownumber? I think I have to
use a subquery since I'll need to alias the rownumber results but I
can't quite get my head around the syntax

The update would look like:
update realtable set firstname = firstfake, lastname = lastfake

the where would use the derived rownumber columns (say rn1,and rn2)

But how to build the suquery so that the records selected could be
used for an update is where I get stuck. I tried this:

update realtable set firstreal = firstfake, lastreal = lastfake where
rownumber over(order by firstreal,lastreal) =
( select
rownumber() over(order by firstfake,lastfake)
from fakeemp)

But that didn't work. I need to join on the derived rownumbers.
Can't quite sort that out.

Pete

Charles Wilt wrote:

ROWNUMBER()

Charles

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 10:05 PM, Dennis Lovelady