Hi,

RRN is available, but there are several problems:
1. How to determine the last inserted relative record no within the current
level (that's what IDENTITY_VAL_LOCAL is for).
It is possible to retrieve the highest record no, but what if another row
or even several rows are inserted by another job
between your insert and the execution of the statement that retrieves the
highest record no?
Or if the file is created with the option REUSEDLT *YES, where deleted
records get replaced before adding new records at the end of the file?
(and the WEB people will not use native I/O!!!)

2. When using the relative record no to access rows with SQL a table scan or
at least in a table probe will be performed.
Both methods will result in a bad performance for large files or tables.
Even in release 6.1 it is not possible to create an index over the
relative record no.

Identity columns can only be implemented in SQL tables.
If it is not possible to convert your DDS described tables into a SQL Table,
you may consider the following solution:
- Add an additional (numeric!?) column to your DDS described table.
- Add a before insert trigger. Determine the next (running) number for this
column.
If you are on release V5R3 or higher, you can create an SQL Sequence
object and retrieve the next running number with the SQL command NEXT VALUE
FOR yourSequence.
If you are not yet on release V5R3 you may simulate a Sequence Object,
i.e. create a data area that always holds the highest value.
In your trigger program you read the data area add 1 to the highest number
save the data area and write the newly determined highest number into your
record/row.
- create a keyed logical file with unique key over this new column.

In this way you do not have to change your existing programs (except you
have to recompile them, because you added a column/field).
A single column unique key is added and SQL can use Index Access to retrieve
the record/row, which is very fast.

We had a similar problems with our web application. A record can only be
identified by a single column/field. For compound keys we either need to
concatenate them (and resplit them later) or enhance our files with a column
that holds an "artificial" unique key.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Birgitta Hauser

Brown)