Understandable sentiment, but doesn't it equate to cutting off your nose
to spite your face? Reminds me of a corporation president that, when he
heard that SSA/GT wanted almost a million dollars to provide a new key
during a machine transition, promised SSA they would never see another
dollar from any of his companies. The result? They went to JDE and
spent over 5 times as much performing the transition.

Heh, what a coincidence--we're moving to JDE as well. :-)

We're actually having to ditch EDI anyway, as we can't get it done with the
rest of our timeline for E1 implementation. When we do start up again I
doubt that we will use an iSeries based solution. I certainly won't
recommend it. I'll live with a much cheaper PC solution, ODBC connections,
and all the headaches that will go with them.

Depending on the time, I sympathize with the president from your example as
well. BPCS was stagnant for years, as the owners milked the cow and didn't
do much to feed it. When we were evaluating new ERP packages, the
difference between the two products really showed that BPCS has fallen
behind. I don't think it's gooing to catch up at this point. Not to say
that JDE is perfect, but the number of in-built and ready-built solutions
for JDE dwarfs the comparable solutions for BPCS.