From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of CRPence
Sent: Thursday, 14 January 2010 7:03 p.m.
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Tables and PFs

Just as the word /table/ used in the program can be "better
termed" as a e.g. /lookup table/, the /table/ created by SQL can be
better termed as a SQL TABLE. In either case, a somewhat generic
term "table" is replaced with a more specific term, in order to
avoid confusion.

I tend to refer to a DDS created database physical file as either
a PF, or a physical file, and where logical versus physical is not a
distinction of interest to be noted, then as either database file or
[written as] "database *FILE". I will generally add a reference to
the DDS as source [e.g. DDS PF] or the CRTPF command to clarify
specifically when an SQL TABLE does not make a satisfactory database
physical file for the scenario, or explicitly qualify as SQL and\or
DDL for the inverse case. Cases do exist for which using one versus
the other is a requirement for a particular implementation, so being
clear\specific may be important; i.e. the _distinction_ can be
_consequential_, so why not just be accurate.? Is anything less
expected for the general term "file" on many other OS whereby the
nomenclature such as PDF, CSV, EXEcutable, etc. is used to denote
specifically what type of file is being discussed?

Regards, Chuck

Evan Harris wrote:

No, there really isn't; a PF on the iSeries is basically what the
rest of the IT world else calls a table. The way I look at it is:

- A table is a thing that contains rows and columns and is part
of a database
- A file is a thing that lives in the file system
- The database will almost certainly live within the file system
so the distinction is important

As to your tables from the parameter file they would be better
termed lookup tables or even hashes.

The semantics of what constitutes a table vs. a physical file on
the iSeries is indistinguishable and inconsequential to the rest
of the world.

It shouldn't bug you that he says this, it's IT Jargon as opposed
to an iSeries sub-dialect.

David FOXWELL

Is there a simple way to explain the difference between a table
and a physical file a part from one is created by SQL and the
other with DDS?
Should it bug me when a coworker says table but means a PF? It
does and I'm not sure why.