I like this. Sorry about the confusion I created with the mention of SYSTEM_ID. I wrote the email without referring to the data dictionary. Memory is not to be relied on. SYSTEM_ID is used in another table.

John McKee

-----Original message-----
From: "Mark Murphy/STAR BASE Consulting Inc." mmurphy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 12:09:22 -0600
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Adding a row to selected detail rows with SQL

Try this:

insert into PREFERENCE_DETAIL (PROVIDER_ID, PROCEDURE_ID, REFERENCE_ID)
select distinct PROVIDER_ID, PROCEDURE_ID, :item_to_add
from PREFERENCE_DETAIL a
where RESOURCE_ID = :search_item
and not exist (select * from PREFERENCE_DETAIL where RESOURCE_ID =
:item_to_add and a.PROVIDER_ID = PROVIDER_ID and a.PROCEDURE_ID =
PROCEDURE_ID)

This is assuming that the REFERENCE_ID is the item field you are talking about. Not sure where SYSTEM_ID fits in this. Note the 'and not exists' clause will exclude any records where the item to add already exists for a found provider/procedure pair.

Mark Murphy
STAR BASE Consulting, Inc.
mmurphy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx