let's add:

<qualified-CL-name> ::= CL-name"/"CL-name |
CL-name"/""*"special-value

The parser knows that MYLIB/*ALL and PART2/*PART1 are of type
<parameter-value>. More specifically, the parser knows they are
<qualified-CL-name> using a *special-value.

So the parser isn't isn't going to consider it possible they could be
comments.

Thank you for clarifying my point; I didn't know how to do it.

This is where your logic falls apart. It *could* be a comment here at this
point, and that was my original unstated concern. My example was poor
because it was a well-known command.

Let's explore MYCMD *PART2/*PART1 would have returned a different value */

In this example, either PART1 is part of the comment or the statement is
badly formed. Even if MYCMD might have accepted a qualified parameter here,
that doesn't mean that the value MUST be qualified. Here's the same thing
with a well-known command, now that I think of it:

WRKOBJ MYOBJ/*Shows a list of objects of name MYOBJ*/

Will this not break your parser for the opposite reason that you're working
so hard to resolve?

Dennis Lovelady
"I am returning this otherwise good typing paper to you because someone has
printed gibberish all over it and put your name at the top.
-- English Professor, Ohio University