I agree 100% with Scott.

It would have to be done in the OS support as the compiler generated code never gets to "see" all of the data at once. It handles it a record at a time just as we do.

With the advent of result field DS I/O, Qualified DS, and Eval-Corr it is not exactly hard to do yourself. The version we wrote up here uses qsort to sequence the array: http://www.ibmsystemsmag.com/ibmi/developer/8554p1.aspx and this piece by Susan was a simplified example using SORTA: http://www.itjungle.com/fhg/fhg100808-story01.html

You could also store the data in a User Space (for example) which would be useful in a web app where persistence is an issue. The "secret" is to use a load-all approach and store the data in your own "buffer" then you can sort any which way you want.

Of course there are those who prefer to use SQL and simply reload using a different ORDER BY - but for the reasons mentioned in the article we're not huge fans of that approach.

IBM (if there is an ounce of sense left in their bodies) are not going to add features to an obsolete technology when all modern interfaces offer data grids etc. which achieve this much more easily and with complete User control.

Jon Paris

www.Partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com