I've had troubles with systems not reading the DVDs on boot. This has
happened on a couple HMC upgrades. Reseating the optical drive helped on
one, cleaning the lens helped on another. More options:

1) Try reading the DVD you're booting from using the terminal session on
the HMC. There's instructions on how to do that in the upgrade docs on how
to verify your save upgrade data worked. Uses mount and umount, I think -
don't have it right in front of me.
2) Catch the boot options at reboot time and pick to boot from the DVD.

And one other thing - after the HMC has rebooted back to normal mode, your
"save upgrade data" is gone - it's still on the DVD which you created, but
it's no longer on the system. Make sure to re-run the save upgrade data
task prior to your upgrade.

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 6:41 PM, Pete Massiello