Dennis

I'll take a guess - David is in a multilingual environment, I think. There could be reasons to know when there are characters outside the set of simple letters and numbers. Not that I know exactly what that is!

Vern

Dennis Lovelady wrote:
Didn't understand your question Den, but got what I needed from Terry all the same.

Sorry. That was my obscure way of telling you that I also have seen this
"problem" (almost exact wording, and approximately the same set of
characters) - and that was when I was in an SQL class. The teacher had
offered it as an opportunity to gain extra credit. Then - as this morning -
I saw no true business need for such a question, hence the response.

If you got this for legitimate business purposes, congratulations.
Seriously. In that case, would you care to share how/why you put this into
practice? 'Cuz I'm really curious.

Dennis Lovelady
"He who builds a better mousetrap these days runs into material shortages,
patent-infringement suits, work stoppages, collusive bidding, discount
discrimination - and taxes."
-- H.E. Martz