How many drives do you have now and are they protected?

Best way to accomplish this is to copy the data. If you have room for 4 more drives then swap the raid card in, start RAID on the new drives, copy the LS drive to one of the new drives. Move that drive into the LS position (bottom left) and IPL to that drive. Add the other 3 8GB drives to the system, remove the remaining 4GB drives from the system. You are done.

Only issue with this is if something goes 'thunk' once the copy is complete the old LS drive is of little use. It will still IPL to DST but won't know of the rest of your 4GB drives. You need to complete the migration. If you choose the tape method (SAVE 21/RESTORE 21) or Save Storage / Restore Storage then the old drives can be placed back in and will run just fine. Note that SAVE 21/RESTORE 21 will cause all your spooled files to go away *POOF* - just sayin....

By the way if you need parts for this migration let me know off list. I have many pieces and parts of that vintage in the FrankenLab, most likely everything you could need.

- DrF

Mark Murphy/STAR BASE Consulting Inc. wrote:
I am considering swaping 4 Gb drives with 8 Gb drives on an old Model 600. I plan to swap the controller as well so I can turn on RAID protection. This isn't a real problem, but the hardware is so old that the prospect of this scares me a bit. So the real question is if the restore fails, can I just put the old hardware back in (in the same place it was before), and everything will be the way it was before? Or do I need to do something else?

Mark Murphy
STAR BASE Consulting, Inc.
mmurphy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx