I got curious as to why UNIX behaves this way...

It appears it was done by design to prevent you from accidentally
running a script in the current directory instead of a system command
you intended. i.e. you navigate to a users directory and type ls to
see the contents, unbeknownst to you the user had created a script
named ls....

Apparently the UNIX standard way of saying you want to execute a
program/script in the current directory is to prefix the command with
./

Which as I look back at the OP, seems to be what Brain was doing....so
I'm not sure why he was getting an error! :)

Charles