IIRC there was a JDE cume level needed to get to V5R1 or whichever release
it was where IBM upped the max spool file/job limit. It might have just
been a specific SAR. Get to at least cume 13 but get current if you can.
Cume 15 adds web-based access for free so that might be a bonus for you.

Make sure any custom or third party apps you have will run on V5R4.

The newer hardware is ridiculously fast compared to your old 720. Not only
are the CPUs faster, but so is the memory and system bus. The RAID
controllers have improved greatly and the disks are faster as well (not only
10K to 15K RPM but each rev of disk tech usually brings a performance gain
via denser platters or better firmware). Do yourself a favor and don't
carry over any hardware from the old box. Well, carry over the power cord
if you want.

That said, there are areas to improve v. a stock config. Get the best disk
controller you can (the base controller isn't the best). Go SAS instead of
SCSI. 8 of the 140GB disks would be sufficient; that's 980GB after RAID5.
If you can afford more disks, that's good too but not absolutely necessary
as long as your RAID card has a good amount of cache. I wouldn't buy
smaller than the 140s.

Buy as much RAM as you can; at a minimum you should double what the old box
had. It's a huge range but get 2-8GB/core. For regular JDE World you can
be a little conservative on the RAM but things like the browser interface
might drive up CPU usage should you choose to enable them. FYI if you want
to run any WebSphere App Server, lean closer to the 8GB/core; some would
argue 2.

As you don't upgrade often, buy as much CPU as you can afford and try for
the most current generation, but as you're coming from an 800 CPW box pretty
much anything will be a huge bump. I don't know about the 520 machines but
we were able to migrate OS licenses from our old 720-2062 to an 830 and
later to a 570. Ditto from a 730 to a 570. If you can still do that, your
OS license cost should be minimized. Speaking of, if you can transfer the
OS licenses, see if you can get a dual-core on your new box. With no OS
license cost the hardware would be relatively cheap and your performance
would shoot through the roof. Talk to your BP about it; it's been a long
time since I dealt with it.

A JDE comment: As I'm sure you're aware, JDE jobs don't take advantage of
SMP so a single job won't use more than one CPU core. That said, having a
multi-core machine is still beneficial in that you can run more jobs
concurrently with less overall drag. That big FASTR won't slow down the
users or the quick PO Print job.

Oh, one more thing: Backups. Get the best tape drive you can. I'm a fan of
LTO. It's fast, reliable, and each generation has upped the capacity and
speed. The latest gen also supports hardware-based encryption. For your
size system, LTO2 is probably fine and could be bought cheap used, but LTO3
or 4 would ensure your backups never take more than one cartridge and backup
downtime window would be reduced.

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 9:39 AM, phil.seay@xxxxxxxxxx