What determines the order of the select?
They seem to be mostly in the order of the fields in the select.

The ORDER BY clause (which is missing from your text)
determines the order.

Ok I created a logical with key on clientName but the request took ages
and I got the message that an index was being created with clientName
during the execution. So I made my own index and used that. The request
runs instantly.

I thought the LF was equivalent to an index?

Use ORDER BY. You cannot / should not rely on LF to give you the exact
sequence you want, particularly when you are joining files.

Then run your query in DEBUG mode and see the system's suggestions for
indexes. Create those and you'll have your best possible performance.

The system chooses when it may be able to take advantage of an index. Since
you don't seem willing to post any useful details, I believe this is the
most detailed help you can get.

Dennis Lovelady
"We can't all be heroes, because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as
they go by."
-- Will Rogers