From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Lukas Beeler
Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 11:07 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: V5R4 sales and marketing extended from 1/5/2010 to 1/7/2011

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 17:32, <rob@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jeepers, how hard would it be for JDE to recompile a few programs up to
5.1 so that they would work on 6.1?  Little effort.  Sad.  But they'll
take your maintenance money...

It's not that easy. The 5250-based version of our ERP package was
compiled back on a V4R5 machine. Customer with a current maintenance
contract on the 5250-based software can upgrade to the graphical
version for an absurdly low fee.

However, there are still some that do not want to go away from 5250,
but theyr hardware is falling apart.

So we were in a bind - do we create a recompile of our 5250 based
version that runs on V6R1? Do we do what our support policy says,
namely that support for the 5250-based version has expired back in 03
and they can't get a new machine?

If we ship a recompiled version that runs on V6R1, is that an implicit
statement that the graphical package isn't that good and we want
customer be allowed to stay on 5250? Who pays for the QA of the V6R1
version? Do we not do QA and risk issues?

In the end, the decision wasn't up to. I was against doing a V6R1
release, but in the end our decision makers thought it was a good
idea.