Here's my quick lesson on object oriented programming for RPG
programmers.

First think of an object as a data structure. A class is a template for
the data structure with a bunch of functions and sub-procedures that
work on that data structure (and that data structure only).

When you instantiate an object from a class, you create a new copy of
that data structure in memory. Any time you refererence that new object,
you can work on it only with methods (procedures ) from the class.

When you subclass a class, you get a template of the original data
structure and an additional data structure for fields that belong only
to the subclass.

When you upcast a class to its parent class, you say to the compiler
"I'm only going to use the data structure and methods of the parent
class", even though that extra stuff is there.

There are a few confusions to this view, but that's pretty much the nut
of it. The biggest wrinkle is that methods of the parent class can be
overridden in the subclass, in which case the method from the subclass
would be used even though you were referring to the object by the parent
class. This is a pretty powerful wrinkle -- polymorphism.

In your example Student is a subclass of Person. A Student "does" all
the things a person does, but does some of them a little differently and
has some of it's own little quirks.