The GETSPLF & PUTSPLF commands and the corresponding QSPGETF & QSPPUTF programs were created to enable making an effective duplicate of a spool file, for review in the lab. The programs were not APIs, merely callable programs provided for use by IBM service in software support, to enable debug of problems with spooled data. They are unsupported as APIs, and were never documented in a[n API] manual. IBM service & development should never have released the /put/ portion which was only for use in the lab, in order to limit the number of people since [mis]using those programs as though they were supported APIs.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc/browse_thread/thread/18170b66195b58ba/d61601e818658f80

I recommend using a documented API; those documented in the API section of InfoCenter.

Regards, Chuck

Tom wrote:
Ok, I found this link (http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l/200008/msg00324.html) in
the archives; of specific note, it mentions to APIs: QSPGETF and
QSPPUTF. Are these APIs still valid and, if so, are they carried
over into v61?

Tom wrote:

OK, a bit more detail:

We have a report generated by 3rd-party software, from a big
vendor with lots of customers. We want to extract some of the
text from the report and generate a new report (using an
overlay). To get the 3rd party vendor to make a change is a big
deal, costing lots of cash and taking at least a month. As an
'independent' contractor, I can do it way faster and for a whole
lot less.

With *SCS files, I might CPYSPLF to copy it to a 133 record
length file (called 'SPOOLFILE'), write up a quickie program to
build a new spoolfile, printing what I need from the original and
apply the overlay.

So... now I need to do this same process on an *AFPDS type of
spoolfile.