John -

For one thing, Microsoft doesn't subscribe to the standard definition of a
delimited file.

For example, when Client Access is used to download data as a
comma-delimited file, it places double quotes around the alpha field values
with a comma separator between the fields.

For example:

If the IBM I file definition is:

Cusno signed 8/0
Name Alpha 40

then the comma-delimited file created by client access would look like:

12345678,"John McKee"
87654321,"Steve Landess"

On the other hand, Microsoft only puts a comma separator between the fields.
If you export the same data from an Excel spreadsheet to a .CSV file, you'll
get:

12345678,John McKee
87654321,Steve Landess

I would speculate that if the file being produced by your outside agency
does not have double quotes around the alpha fields, CPYFRMIMPF will likely
have a problem if there happens to be a pipe character embedded /within/ one
of the alpha data fields, since without the double quotes around the field
value it will think it represents the end of a field value.

- sjl