got more info on this ...

when you use system i operations console to create a LAN console you assign
an IP address the LAN console is to be known by. ( there is a name spcfd
also, but that does not appear to matter much as far as the IBM i
partition is concerned ). Also specified is the system serial number and
partition number the console is connecting to.

When LIC is first installed and started on the IBM i partition, that LIC
install does not know the IP address of the LAN console. What it does is
broadcast some sort of BOOTP message on the network. In the ops console
config is an "answer bootp" check box. When that is checked the newly
starting LIC install on the IBM i partition discovers the IP address of the
LAN console and makes the connection. It also stores that LAN console IP
address.

On every subsequent boot of the IBM i partition, the partition is going to
use that stored IP address as the IP address of the LAN console it wants to
connect to. If the LAN console is not configed with that IP address the
connection will not be made and you get the A6005008 SRC code. You get that
regardless of whether the "answer bootp" check box is checked. Once the IBM
i partition has a LAN console IP address in its config, it does not
broadcast a BOOTP message.

IBM support told me you can change that stored LAN console IP address.
Using STRSST you can change the LAN console IP address. You can also clear
it. ( Actually, this works only in theory because when I ran the steps
outlined to me the system still connected on an IP address I don't want used
by ops console. )

SST menu options

- 1. start a service tool
- 4. display / alter / dump