From a stockholder and client standpoint, you have the same liability issues
with a vendor....

DR2

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Kirk Goins
Sent: Thursday, October 01, 2009 4:05 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Alternatives to Iron Mountain

Sounds like Iron Mountain needs some training in 'Customer Service'...
While rolling your own may or may not be workable from a logistics point, I
does open the door to several liabilities. Let's assume a very trusted and
responsible employee is transporting your tapes to another of your locations
on their way home from work. And something like..

Drives all the way home with the tapes, decides to leave the tapes in the
car overnight and for the first time ever the car is stolen or broken into.
The tapes are now gone. Now what are your legal exposure? What types of
data are on the tapes? Are they encrypted?