Sounds like MHDD utility needs a new release.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John Jones
Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 3:33 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: SSDs and the Reliability Factor

Should they fail? No. But anything manufactured can be defective,
including
memory. Hopefully truly defective components would be revealed in the
QC
process. And in a server you will still be installing them as part of a
RAID
set; the need for that does not go away.

BTW, like platter drives SSDs have more space than advertised. So there
is
some room to remap around bad or defective memory sectors just like
platter
drives do with defective disk sectors.

It's been estimated that the average MLC SSD can be written to 24x7
(continuously) for 5 years before you're likely to start to see
problems.
Reads are unlimited; only writes add to the wear.