I can get an average fo all the records. The accounts without a balance
don't count.

SELECT AVG(b0balance) FROM cvactdtl
WHERE b0balance > 0

I can calculate 25% of the records

SELECT COUNT(*) * .25 FROM cvactdtl
WHERE b0balance > 0

But how can I calculate the average of the top 25% records. Records with
the same balance would be counted separately.

I've looked at RANK and PARTITION BY but can't find enough information to
understand their use.

Any ideas?

TIA
Jack