I was reading IBM technote 416466888 "Configuring RDB Names for High
Availability and External System Access".

Currently we have two pairs of HA machines:
GDISYS and GDISYS2
GDIHQ and GDIHQ2

After reading this I am getting the impression that I should have named
these
GDISYS1 and GDISYS2
GDIHQ1 and GDIHQ2

and have additional DNS entries that says that
GDISYS will point to whomever is the source, or production, machine
currently between GDISYS1 and GDISYS2.
GDIHQ will point to whomever is the source, or production, machine
currently between GDIHQ1 and GDIHQ2.

As far as WRKRDBDIRE goes, GDISYS1 should have
Remote
Entry Location
GDISYS1 *LOCAL
GDISYS2 GDISYS2
GDISYS GDISYS

GDISYS2 should have
Remote
Entry Location
GDISYS2 *LOCAL
GDISYS1 GDISYS1
GDISYS GDISYS

I think I understand this. And I tested this by leaving GDISYS & GDISYS2
but adding a new system name - For the sake of the list (and various email
programs that block certain words) I'll call it SYSX.

So GDISYS has:
Remote
Entry Location
SYSX GDISYS
GDIHQ GDIHQ
GDISYS *LOCAL
GDISYS2 GDISYS2

GDISYS2 has:
Remote
Entry Location
SYSX GDISYS2
GDIHQ GDIHQ
GDISYS GDISYS
GDISYS2 *LOCAL

Then GDIHQ has:
Remote
Entry Location
SYSX SYSX
GDIHQ *LOCAL
GDISYS GDISYS
GDISYS2 GDISYS2

For testing purposes I am using a host table entry on GDIHQ for SYSX and I
alternate it between the IP address for GDISYS and GDISYS2.

I created a table ROB0925/TEST on GDISYS and GDISYS2. It has one column
and one row. On GDISYS it contains GDISYS. On GDISYS2 it contains
GDISYS2.

Now on GDIHQ I do:
PING SYSX - returns address for GDISYS.
STRSQL
CONNECT TO SYSX
select * from ROB0925/TEST
and I get GDISYS. Then I do
RELEASE ALL
DISCONNECT ALL
F3=Exit
RMVTCPHTE INTNETADR(ip address for gdisys)
ADDTCPHTE INTNETADR(ip address for gdisys2) HOSTNAME((SYSX))
PING SYSX and get ip address for gdisys2
STRSQL
CONNECT TO SYSX
select * from ROB0925/TEST
and I still get GDISYS which tells me it's still connected to GDISYS and
not GDISYS2.
F3=Exit
SIGNOFF *LIST
Sign on.
STRSQL
CONNECT TO SYSX
select * from ROB0925/TEST
Now I get GDISYS2.

2 - How do I get it to flush the connection without signing off?

Additional search words: MIMIX