I have a program that can run normally via the CALL command or within
QSH via a symbolic link. I want the default output to be different
depending on where it is running. I do not want the user to have to do
anything special external to the program. It must be transparent.

Hi, Simon:

Do you know the value of $SHELL when the program is called from command line
vs. from QSH? Will that give you a clue?

One thing to consider: your link doesn't HAVE to be symbolic to the program
object, does it? Couldn't it be a script that sets up overriding parameters
(perhaps simply by setting some environment variable) and then links to the
program object (perhaps with a special command-line switch)? Does that
help? Of course the issue there is that environment variables can also be
set from the ADD/CHG/RMV ENVVAR command set and flags can be passed from
CALL, which violates the absolutely/positively aspect of your question. But
maybe (if $SHELL is a clue) the combination can be absolute? Hmmm...

Dennis Lovelady
"A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support
of Paul."
-- George Bernard Shaw