pp 159-160 (pdf pp 178-179) give the rules for both 520+ and 520.

HTH,
Charles Wilt

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 12:56 PM, Pete Helgren <Pete@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Grab a System Builder.  I found this note with reference to memeory
placement:

#4444 - 1 GB DDR Main Storage (DDR1; 256 Mb technology, CCIN 309B)
(ships four 256 MB DIMMs for a total of
1 GB)

#4449 - 8 GB DDR Main Storage (DDR1; 128 Mb technology, stacked, CCIN
30D5) (ships four 2 GB DIMMs for a total
of 8 GB)

Install DIMMs in sets of four (quads) with one exception: A single pair
of 256MB DIMMs is allowed on the #8950 processor.

Add an additional pair of 256 MB DIMMs to the original pair (to make a
quad) whenever more DIMMs are added. Then one
additional quad of DIMMs may be added to the system. For the #8950
processor, the first DIMM pair goes into DIMM slots
J0A and J2A. The second pair of DIMMs goes into slots J0C and J2C.
The first quad of DIMMs is plugged into DIMM slots J0A, J2A, J0C, and J2C.
The second quad of DIMMs is plugged into DIMM slots J0B, J2B, J0D, and J2D.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so take a look at page 249 (at
least in my Model 520 System builder - SG24-2155-10)

Pete

Chris Bipes wrote:
Good morning.  Last Thursday I had a failed attempt at having a memory
upgrade performed.  I contracted out the install as the server is 2000
miles from home.  The installer did not put the memory into the correct
locations so the machine did not want to boot.  Our current
configuration has two  #4444 1 GB features and I am removing one of them
and installing a #4449 8 GB feature.  Now everyone tell me that the
system can be configured this way.  I have been searching IBM trying to
find out the exact pattern the memory need to be installed in with no
luck.  Does anyone know which of the 8 slots the memory has to be
installed in?

The final result will be 9GB with one #4444 and one #4449 memory
features.

Chris Bipes
Director of Information Services
CrossCheck, Inc.