On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 21:45, <rob@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think these lower end units are supposed to be customer installable.

Yep, of course. Even the memory in the Power 5 machines was a CIF. And
that required you to take the whole machine into little bits and
pieces.

Is there enough markup for a BP to make a buck if they have to help
install them?

Well, of course we help our customers install the machine. We bill
that by the hour.

Problem: ÂCustomer wants them price comparable to a Windows server

Forget it. The 30kCHF a baseline 8203-E4A runs gives you a 1 core
Power 6 machine, 16GB RAM and 6 SAS Disks with a HW RAID controller.
(Price excludes OS)

On the System x side you could buy a machine with 2 sockets, 4 cores
each, 64GB RAM and 20-30 disks in a small FC attached SAN with
redundant HBAs and redundant RAID controllers. (Price excludes OS)