Lukas Beeler wrote:
No, that's exactly how it works. The IBM i will send a BOOTP request,
which operations console will answer. BOOTP is the predecessor of
DHCP, which you probably are using already to give out IP adresses to
your PCs.

Hmm.

Out of morbid curiosity, once the box is up and running, can we freely switch the box on which the LAN Console lives, and have it recognized? Or do we have to tell it something?

And I'm told that the "console port" IP address must be different from the "general use" IP address? And that they're also separate cables, going into separate physical sockets on the back of the machine? Is that correct?

--
JHHL