Jerry,

You're comparing LAN console to the remote capabilities of the HMC - which
is a good comparison, and cool.
I think what Lukas is trying to say is that (especially on initial setup)
a dedicated PC is good because hopefully it will be at least on the same
subnet (if not direct connected as Lukas likes). This will get over the
broadcast data issue on initial setup. Lukas also has a different
perspective - he works in multiple customers and some may have the subnet
with their 'big iron' locked down tighter causing issues with lan console.
He's also from overseas and they just may, in general, have different
networking issues.

But you're right to try to stress your point. Knowing that I can have
multiple units without even having to switch a twinax cable be able to
step in and do lan console is great.